Maryland Personal Injury Attorney Seeks Justice for Accident Victims
Gaithersburg law firm aids individuals with their personal injury claims
When you're injured because of someone else's negligence, you shouldn't be responsible for your medical bills and other financial fallout. At The Law Office of Christopher J. Smith in Gaithersburg, I use the knowledge I gained while defending insurance companies in personal injury claims to help victims obtain full compensation. My firm represents residents throughout Maryland and in Washington, D.C.
Experience across a wide range of personal injury cases
In my practice, I have litigated a wide range of injury cases, such as those involving:
- Car accidents — Maryland averages more than 500 fatal car accidents a year, and almost 30,000 injury crashes. In 2022, a driver's alcohol consumption was a factor in more than 1,700 injury crashes and 135 fatal crashes. Speed was also a major factor, cited in 33 fatal collisions and more than 1,100 injury accidents. If you've been injured in a car crash in Maryland or D.C., you can count on my skill and experience to pursue the compensation you deserve.
- Truck accidents — Accidents involving trucks can be particularly serious due to their sheer weight and size, and trucking companies often have the legal resources to avoid paying the injured party all of what they are entitled to. I collect, analyze and present crucial evidence that proves the other party's fault and get truck accident victims the compensation they need.
- Motorcycle accidents — Bikers often suffer greater injuries and have a harder time obtaining compensation, due to unfair stereotypes that paint motorcycle riders as rebels and risk-takers. I investigate motorcycle accidents to pinpoint who or what was at fault and work tirelessly to hold the responsible party fully accountable.
- Construction accidents — Although most on-the-job accidents limit a victim's recovery to workers' compensation benefits, construction accidents are often different, as several third parties could be involved and be liable. I examine the circumstances to determine whether third-party negligence caused your injury. If so, I can help you obtain compensation through a third party claim.
- Slip and fall accidents — When property owners fail to keep their premises reasonably safe, serious injuries can occur. If you have been injured in a slip and fall as the result of hazardous conditions on someone's property, you may be entitled to compensation. In premises liability cases, I investigate to determine whether the property owner or another party was responsible for a hidden and unsafe condition.
- Dog bites — In 2022 alone, the Maryland Department of Health reported 8,282 dog bites. This was up from 7,972 the previous year. If you've been bitten by a dog and are considering a lawsuit, it's important to understand the laws that may affect your claim. Generally, if a dog is running loose and bites someone, the owner is liable, whether they knew the dog could be vicious or not. Dog bite cases are often complicated and emotional, but my firm can help you understand your options for recovery.
- Wrongful death — Losing a loved one to someone's negligent or intentional act is devastating, and while no amount of money can replace them, some measure of justice can be gained through filing a wrongful death suit. Primary beneficiaries of the deceased, which includes spouses, parents and children, can typically bring wrongful death claims. In Washington D.C., the personal representative of the deceased person's estate must file the claim on behalf of the beneficiaries. If you've lost a family member, you deserve to recover for the loss of future income, funeral and burial costs, medical bills and other damages.
There is a three-year statute of limitations from the date of injury to file a legal claim. It is crucial to immediately retain a personal injury lawyer to preserve the evidence and gather witness statements to bolster your claim.
Proving liability in injury cases
Before you can obtain compensation, you must prove by a preponderance of the evidence that someone caused your injury through an act or omission that was careless, reckless or deliberate. As your legal representative, I do everything necessary to build a compelling case, including:
- Investigating the accident
- Consulting with accident reconstruction experts and medical professionals
- Interviewing witnesses
- Demanding and examining all pertinent records
By assembling all the necessary evidence, I can negotiate a settlement from a position of strength or take your case to trial, if necessary.
When should you hire a PI attorney?
You should never make the mistake of trying to negotiate a settlement yourself. Insurance companies will resort to almost any tactic to reduce the amount you recover. Rather, as soon as you suspect you have been injured, you should contact my office, so I can begin building a winning case for the compensation you deserve.
Contact a knowledgeable Maryland attorney for a free consultation
At The Law Office of Christopher J. Smith in Gaithersburg, I always aim to obtain full compensation for my injured clients, whether through an award or settlement. To schedule a free consultation with me, call 301-760-7460 or contact me online.