Rockville Pedestrian Accident Attorney Represents Injured Victims
Experienced trial lawyer seeks full compensation for clients throughout Maryland
The State of Maryland averages more than one hundred pedestrian deaths from traffic accidents every year. In fact, one in five fatal crashes kills a pedestrian. Most of these accidents occur in urban settings, specifically the Baltimore and DC Metro areas. If you or a loved one has been harmed in a pedestrian accident, The Law Office of Christopher J. Smith, LLC is ready to provide dedicated representation focused on securing the maximum compensation possible.
The most common types of pedestrian accidents
Pedestrian safety is a growing concern in congested urban areas, and along major arteries with fast-moving traffic. The most common causes of pedestrian traffic injuries are:
- Dangerous intersections — Many intersections include unnecessary hazards and should be redesigned for pedestrian safety. In some cases, traffic signals do not provide adequate time to cross the street, especially for elderly pedestrians, children and those who have trouble walking.
- Distracted drivers — Cellphone use and other distractions take a driver’s eyes and mind off the road and people in their path.
- Aggressive drivers — During pedestrian accidents, speed literally kills. Drivers who are too anxious to get going sometimes don’t allow pedestrians to get across the street.
- Left-hand turns — When a driver makes a left-hand turn through an intersection, he or she is crossing oncoming traffic and likely looking up the road at approaching vehicles, not on the path their vehicle is taking.
- Alcohol and drug impairment — Even if a driver is not charged with DUI, we will review the circumstances to see if drinking or drugs contributed to the collision.
People most at risk for pedestrian accidents are small children who are not as visible to drivers, elderly people who may be slow to react to oncoming vehicles and intoxicated pedestrians whose judgment and reactions are impaired.
Determining fault for a pedestrian accident in Maryland
Pedestrian traffic accidents often result in severe injuries or wrongful death, both from impact with a vehicle and the secondary impact against the hard road surface. Depending on the type of contact, pedestrians might also be crushed or dragged by vehicles. Severe injuries, such as traumatic brain injury, displaced bone fractures, and spinal cord injuries are common. But to recover compensation for these injuries, a pedestrian must prove someone else was at fault. This is most likely a negligent driver, but a municipality could also be liable for an unreasonably dangerous intersection.
Pedestrian accidents require full investigation, including accident reconstruction from certified experts to determine exactly who or what was at fault. We have the resources and experience to build a strong argument on your behalf.
Firm pursues justice for people struck by vehicles while walking
Victims of pedestrian accidents may be entitled to compensation for their present and future medical bills, present and future lost wages and their pain and suffering. The first step is usually an insurance claim against the at-fault driver. However, if the victim owns a car, their own personal injury protection policy can cover injuries. As your legal representative, we negotiate settlements with insurers and bring lawsuits when necessary to secure just compensation. Maryland law allows three years for an accident victim to file a lawsuit, but you should act as soon as possible so that evidence and witnesses can be tracked down.
Contact a determined Rockville pedestrian accident attorney for a free consultation
The Law Office of Christopher J. Smith, LLC in Rockville represents victims of pedestrian accidents in Maryland and Washington, D.C. To schedule a free consultation and get your case started, call 301-760-7460 or contact us online. Our office is conveniently located at 17 West Jefferson Street, just off I-275, but we can come to your home or hospital if necessary.